Friday 8 June 2012

SDBT: Sunday, May 13th

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold. -Leo Tolstoy, novelist and philosopher (1828-1910) 

                                                             Mya's first game of soccer!


Hi all,

Our budding soccer player, too bad that she is growing up! Much love Tina 

Canadian Visit


Hi Patrick,
I have heard from Chloe and am replying to her today (see below).  I took Wayne's advice and have hired a car.  It's a shame we won't meet but if you ever want to visit London you are welcome to stay at my house.
Regards, June

Hi Chloe,



We arrive on the 20th May about 11.15 a.m.  I have arranged to collect a rental car from the airport at 12.30 p.m. and will then drive to your parent's place.  Are you able to leave a key for us?  Where will you leave it?  I am hoping to get a Canadian sim card at the airport so that I can phone you. The number you have given me - is that the whole of the number or is there a 1 in front?  What number do I need to dial with my uk mobile as I will need the country code as well?  
We hope to stay on 20th and 21st and also 27th and 28th May.  Would that be ok?  We want to travel to White Rock and Cloverdale, where I lived as a young child, and also to Vancouver Island between 21st and 27th May.  We will be leaving very early on 29th May to catch the Rocky Mountaineer to Jasper.  We will then be staying in Alberta and fly back from Calgary on 9th June.

Please can you confirm your parent's address?
Looking forward to meeting you.
Regards, June

Hi June, 



Sorry I haven't responded earlier, just curious you arrive on the 20th and when are you here till? The reason I ask is that we have other family friends coming and just trying to figure where to put everyone. 

I work close to my parents place and will probable be working the day you arrive, and can leave keys somewhere for you but it can be difficult to find the patio if you've never been to it.  So maybe we can email/talk closer to and make a easy plan. Did you have a chance to look into rental cars? As it may be easier to rent at the airport as Wayne suggested. 

See you soon. Chloe

Hi Chloe, 
I am not sure whether you received this message so I am resending it.  Your father has kindly said that we can stay at his house for a few days.  My friend Myrtle and I will be arriving on 20th May at 11.15 a.m. & will come by taxi to your parent's house.  Would it be possible for you to leave the key for us? Could you please let me have your phone number? I hope to be able to meet you. Looking forward to visiting BC again. 
Kind regards, June
 
Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies out there who do the hardest and most rewarding job there is!!! And to my mom( Corinne Durston ) thanks for being the best mom a girl can have!!! And please come home in one piece sounds like you may be banged up but you are very precious cargo!!!! So Dad take care of her!!!! ♥
What a fantastic trip you are having. My sister is back in Mississauga and will be there until they get the house in order before returning to Hong Kong in June. She said it was sweltering there when she left so hope you are bearing up. I know your Japan trip will be well with so many ex housemates living there.
We got back from NY . We walked so much there I got tendinitis. I am hoping it is not sciatica...
Loved the experience and the city that never sleeps. Read a sign to sum it up, "NY: tolerant of your beliefs, judgmental of your shoes. "
Am now getting ready to fly back to meet my son and visit my sister in Mississauga next week. Looking forward to it!
Iron Rose, HSS and the sisterhood, Harper says, weather be 
 
P,

Just finished the Peter Temple yarn you mentioned, Iron Rose, and really enjoyed it. I presume you have recommended it to rugger buffs.

Harper quoted in the house as saying that the NDP did not support the 2nd world war. How brilliant is that? Someone pointed out that the NDP did not exist. Oh said he, the CCF, what’s the diff? Sure you want to return to this country -- now run by despots?  

Hope the travels continue to go well and homeland security has no INS with the sisterhood.

Weather broke here and is holding – just like the wind which is seldom in front.

Looking forward to a wind-free ride in the sun tomorrow,
W
Greetings from Hotel New Palace!
Hi Big Al!

Greetings from Aizu Wakamatsu, Samurai City, about three hours by train from Tokyo! Off to scope town for dinner tonight. Have signed Cora Lee up for some Samurai activities to "discipline her mind and body to develop the Aizu samurai spirit" while I go on a Sake brewery tour! Just hope she doesn't pick up a sword afterwards!!!

We are back in Vancouver on May 31st. Be great to get together once we are home. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Ragin' Bull!

Trust you are well. AM worried as I've not head about any riding with Peleton! Just arrived in Aizu Wakamatsu, Samurai City, about three hours north, by train from Tokyo! Off to scope town for dinner tonight. Have signed Cora Lee up for some Samurai activities to "discipline her mind and body to develop the Aizu samurai spirit" while I go on a Sake brewery tour! Just hope she doesn't pick up a sword afterwards!!! To celebrate Mother's Day, in our room, before going out for dinner, we'll be opening a bottle of Charles Melton's 2009 Richelieu, Grenache, 14.0%, which we picked up in Barossa when there with Flamin' and Sarge. Hors d'oeuvres will be a selection of the finest wasabi peas, rice crackers, black pepper salami and some sort of dried cocktail sausage, nothing but the finest election available from the 7/11 sort of convenience store at the train station. Bought them while Cora Lee was chatting, gathering info for next three days here, at Tourist Info Booth. Cheers, Il Conductore!
Conductoré!
As the weather has been stunning recently, I am surprized I have not heard from the peletoners.  Hmmm, hope they have not given up on me.  I have been quite busy doing some cosmetics on my boat in prep for cover removal next week, so have had to turn down the last couple of rides.  Did do a solo Tour de Richmond with Peter. Peter last week as well as some shorter solo rides.  Starting to feel in "Lance Armstrong" shape again!

Sounds like the 7/11s in Japan are much better stocked than here!  Good idea sending Cora Lee for samuri training - apparently, charge cards are against the samurai code.  Duty and service are the overwhelming requirements.

As mentioned, the weather is stunning, no end in sight - well this is Vancouver, but … can't wait to get the cover off. fire up the bbq and even go out and burn some fossil fuel!

Last time I exchanged email with Whirly, I suggested ending a peleton outing at the boat with steaks and beer.  Seems a good idea no?


más adelante//bjp

Canadian Visit and Greetings from Japan! 

Hi June!

At present we are in Aizu Wakamatsu, Samurai City, about three hours, by train, north of Tokyo. Arrived here yesterday afternoon. Went to a tiny hole in the wall yesterday evening for dinner, rice and grilled beef, chicken and pork on skewers, as we'd had a fab sushi meal in Tokyo the night before. Will go to a Mom and Pop sushi spot almost immediately next door to our hotel this evening. Full day of sightseeing and then a spa, mineral hot springs, at one of the numerous places which abound in this area. Snow on the mountains so it is almost like being back in Vancouver Terrific spring weather.

About your visit, I don't think that you'll be able to purchase a sim card for your phone at the airport but perhaps I'm wrong. I've never had to do so, in Vancouver, at least, so I'm not familiar with what is available in this reagrd. At any rate, you van make a local call and need the 10 digit number, (area code and individual phone number), which Chloe provided: 604-341-0291. I know I can speak for her in saying that you are welcome to stay on the dates you mention, or longer, depending on how your plans unfold.

I'll let you deal with Chloe about the key but as she has indicated, it is a tad confusing to find our patio if you have never been to our place before. Not all that difficult, however. When you find the entrance, off Lamey's Mill Road, (Just mention you are looking for Granville Island Market and almost anyone you approach will tell you how to get there.), you are looking for 1425, between the entrance to the Market itself, under the Granville Street Bridge, and Alder Crossing, a small bridge over the rail tracks which run parallel to Lamey's Mill Road. I mention these two end points as if you go beyond either one, you are not in the righ zone. Not a big deal as you can simply turn around and retrace your steps. Dean's Store is a small convenicnec outlet in the bay before our building if you are coming from the east.

Once you've actually found our parkade there will be some visitor parking. It is a small lot so there might not be a stall available but don't worry. Park somewhere that isn't blocking any parked vehicles and send Myrtle up the stairs to the left of the large garage door. Bear to your left once you reach the top of the flight and take the path, to yout right, which runs down a slight slope, between our building and the next. There is a small chain fence at the top, intende dto keep vehicles off the grass. Walk along this path until you come to another small path, a set of paving stones, with a sign which says #20 Island Inn, with a cheeky gray cat below. Walk onto the patio, (not down the small set of stairs to your right), and look for the spot where the key is hidden! I suggest under the mat in front of the sliding door but I'll let HCloe decide.

One of the keys will be to this door. When you put it in the lock, press the door to your left as it makes opening the latch easier. Anyway, you can floow most of these directions to find our palce and the patio but with any luck you'll bbe able to caht with Chloe and arrange to mee tin person, either at our place or at Granville Island Brewerey, but a few minutes walk away.

Thank you for the kind invitation to stay. Much appreciated. All the best for now. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Patrick James Dunn Pushy! Pushy!

You're both pushy broads and according to Jean Anderson, you get if from your pushy Mother! Nana is in the tub, as I scribe, soaking in bath salts. When we were trying to board the train at the train station near our hotel, the door closed just as Nana was entering the carriage. It really whacked her left shoulder and ankle, knocking her off balance, as it continued to close. I thought that she was going to fall between the train and the platform. I couldn't do anything as both my hands were on our two bags as I was going to lift them over the slight lip of the open carriage door. Fortunately, she didn't fall, either into the track well or onto the platform, otherwise I would have had to decide whether to get on the train with my bag or take hers as well. SHe had hotel booking for next stay so she would probably have found me, at some point. Just heard a pathetic whimper from the bath room: "Anymore wine?" so will have to say goodbye for now! Love Nana Bumper Cars and Poppa-San! 

 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment